Supporting pupils with medical conditions and giving medication in schools and childcare settings
This course is specifically designed for staff in schools and nurseries to ensure that staff administering medication are equipped with the knowledge to maintain safe practice for themselves and pupils in accordance with The Department for Education & Skills / Department of Health Guidance. The course is specifically designed around the needs of the education sector and highlights issues such as; working with parents and healthcare providers, the importance of records and documentation, consent, parental responsibilities and student self-medication.
The course consists of illustrated step by step directions, flow charts, diagrams, videos and test yourself sections fully compatible with all computers and mobile devices. This course will take 3 hours but you will be able to stop and start as often as you like and print your Certificate on completion. This course qualifies for 3 hours of Verifiable CPD. You will have continuous access to this course for 12 months.
It is vital that only appropriately trained staff are administering medication. Staff need to understand the responsibilities they are assuming and ensure they have all the necessary information for the welfare of the pupils and themselves. This course is produced in accordance with the guidelines set by The Department for Education & Skills and The Department of Health and contains additional PDFs and downloads from other helpful and well-respected organisations.
Course contents: At the end of the course you should be able to –
- Understand the legislation to help support pupils at school with medical conditions
- Understand how Individual Healthcare Plans (IHP) should support you in the administration of medication to pupils
- Recognise the necessary content on an IHP
- Appreciate your role in the administration of medication to pupils
- Understand modes of medication administration and doses and why they are important
- Confidently administer medication appropriately to your pupils and maintain appropriate records according to the IHP and parental/legal guardian consent
- Appreciate the legal framework for giving medication
- Ensure there are appropriate policies around the safe storage, accessibility, and type of medication administered within the school
- Ensure you have received appropriate training to confidently give medication to pupils